All You Need To Know About Delivery Margin

All You Need To Know About Delivery Margin

Surely you've heard the phrase "delivery margin" frequently. In India, it is frequently used in relation to trading in securities. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) established peak margin standards that included the margin delivery idea. Peak margin is the minimal margin that brokers are required to get from their customers before executing any intraday or delivery transaction.

But what is the delivery margin, and how does it affect you as an investor? To learn all you need to know about it, continue reading.

What is Delivery Margin Trading?

The amount that traders or investors must retain in their trading accounts in order to take delivery of the assets they have acquired is the correct delivery margin meaning. You have two choices when you purchase stocks:

  • Take possession of the securities and keep them on hand.
  • Prior to the settlement date, sell them.

You must pay the whole amount based on the current market value if you select the first option and accept delivery of the acquired securities. Maintaining a specific amount of margin delivery in your trading account is another necessity.

This requirement is established by SEBI, who updates it based on the state of the market and other socio-political variables. Its goal is to guarantee that investors have enough money in their accounts to pay for the assets they have bought. According to its most recent decision, a 20% margin must always be maintained. 

Let's say you received 20,000 when you sold your stocks on T day. According to SEBI's most recent peak margin rule, 20% of this sum (or Rs 4,000) will be set aside as equity delivery margin and made available to you on the next trading day (T+1). You will have instant access to the remaining 80% (or Rs 16,000) to make withdrawals or purchase more stocks.

Start Your Stock Market
Journey Now!

50 Years Trust |₹0 AMC |₹0 Brokerage *

Table of Content

  1. What is Delivery Margin Trading?
  2. How Delivery Margin Trading works?
  3. Benefits of Delivery Margin Trading
  4. What happens if the delivery margin is not fulfilled?
  5. Conclusion

How Delivery Margin Trading works?

When you buy stocks on margin, you agree to borrow money from your brokerage company over time to cover all or a portion of the securities' purchase price. The margin you have available in your account, which changes based on the kind of asset you're purchasing with borrowed money, determines how much you may borrow.

The delivery margin you are permitted to use depends on your broker and the particular trading instrument you intend to use. Your broker could let you trade 10% of the total value of a certain asset, for instance, if you wish to trade shares. The remaining 90% of the stock's worth, which is your cash, is due. Some brokers may let you trade 50% or even 100% of a currency pair with margin if you wish to trade in forex.

These stocks are owned by the brokerage firm, which grants you a loan based on their stock market value until the term of your loan expires. This loan amount may be used to place orders and earn profits; it will be settled when the loan term is over or all open positions are closed, whichever occurs first.

Instead of on a contract note, the profit and loss would be paid at the conclusion of each trading day. In exchange for granting such a borrowing facility, the broker charges a brokerage fee. Professional traders who manage risks and have years of expertise in the financial markets typically engage in margin trading.

Benefits of Delivery Margin Trading

Here are a few advantages of using margin delivery trading:


The capacity to manage a larger position with a relatively little quantity of your own cash is one of the main advantages of margin trading, especially margin delivery trading. Potential profits may be amplified by this leverage. With the same starting investment, you may control twice as many stocks if the margin requirement is 50%, for instance.

Portfolio Diversification

By using margin trading, you may diversify your investment holdings without having to put a significant amount of your own money into each position. This can aid in distributing risk over a number of assets.

Access to More possibilities

Margin trading gives you the freedom to seize investment possibilities that may be outside the scope of your current financial situation. You can take part in deals that you might not have otherwise been able to.

Short Selling

Some margin accounts also permit short selling, which entails repurchasing borrowed equities at a discount. This can open up a way to make money off of falling stock prices.


Hedging tactics can be implemented through margin trading. In order to perhaps balance losses in one position with profits in another, you may, for example, employ margin to go long on some stocks while shorting others.

Potential for Compound Gains

By using margin to execute profitable trades and consistently reinvesting your gains, you may be able to hasten the long-term growth of your portfolio.

What happens if the delivery margin is not fulfilled?

Your trading activity may be restricted or you may be charged a penalty for a margin deficit if you don't keep the appropriate delivery margin in your account. Failure to pay for stocks acquired can, in extreme circumstances, lead to the broker or the exchange taking legal action against you. To avoid any unfavourable effects, it is crucial for traders to comprehend and abide by the margin delivery requirements.


In conclusion, anyone looking to negotiate the complexity of leveraging their stock market assets has to comprehend the subtleties of delivery margin trading. This particular type of margin trading provides access to a wider range of investment options, the possibility of enhanced gains, and portfolio diversification. Investors can use  the power of leverage by using borrowed money to buy stocks with the intention of obtaining physical possession within a specified time frame. This might increase returns but also carry risk around it. You can explore more about margin trading & know about the advanced driven platform from BlinkX. Explore BlinkX stock trading app for better trading opportunities.

Delivery Margin FAQs

It is a sort of trading on margin in which investors borrow money from a broker to buy stocks with the goal of physically acquiring the equities within a set period of time.

By using margin, investors may take ownership of a bigger stake with a smaller initial investment, thereby boosting profits. Access to a wider variety of stocks and investing options is another benefit.

The amount of the entire transaction value that an investor must put up in cash in order to meet the margin requirement; the remaining amount is borrowed from the broker. 

Stock purchases made with the intention of holding them physically are the main focus of margin trading. Non margin delivery  trading is more frequently connected with short selling (selling borrowed stocks).

Yes, the investor must physically take ownership of the acquired stocks within a certain window of time that is often provided by the broker or the exchange.